Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body. Approximately 30% of our ‘building blocks’ are collagen. It’s found in bones, muscles, skin and tendons. It is the substance that holds the body together. This strong molecule is said to be stronger than steel, and it gives the basic structure of many important parts of our bodies. We added collagen to our cookie mix to promote beauty and wellness.
With age, we lose collagen fibers, and who likes wrinkles? We have to incorporate in our diets somehow. Why not with a healthy, delicious snack?
Let’s take a look at the multiple benefits of adding collagen to your diet:
- Healthier and more beautiful skin: collagen is the main structural element of skin, so we must consume collagen to keep up with its elasticity and its strength. Collagen rich diets also maintain skin hydration, reduce skin wrinkles and also skin dryness.
- Alleviates joint pain: another important role of collagen is maintaining the integrity of cartilage, which is the tissue that protects joints. Osteoarthritis happens with the loss of collagen with age. Adding collagen to your diet can prevent your joints from degenerating and the pain that comes with it.
- Bone loss prevention: on the same line of thought, collagen is essential for your bones. A study took a look at a group of women’s bone mineral density in relationship to collagen consumption and observed an improvement. The majority of research points out that including collagen in your diet is very beneficial for bone strength and bone health.
- Stronger bigger muscles: it happens that muscle is ALSO dependent on collagen. Research is somewhat new to this, but it seems like collagen rich diets can help build muscle mass, including the increase in creatine, a protein that stimulates muscle growth.
- It keeps the heart strong too! Your blood vessels, meaning arteries, veins, heart and every blood pumping tube that reaches pretty much every cell in your body, are benefited by collagen. Going back to the idea that it brings ‘structure’ to basic organs in our bodies, we see how the lack of collagen can cause weak arteries and lead to complications such as atherosclerosis and even heart attacks. Adding collagen to your diet can prevent this.
Additionally, research is looking at other benefits of collagen:
- Nails and hair: could prevent brittleness, can stimulate growth
- Gut health: can aid leaky gut syndrome
- Brain health: could reduce anxiety and improve mood
- Weight loss: can accelerate metabolism
It does not matter how old or young you are, collagen is a MUST in your diet. It keeps you strong, it keeps your organs’ basic shape strong and happy. The best part, you don’t need to eat a bone broth or animal products to boost collagen in your diet. The gelatin we use in our cookie mix comes directly from cooking collagen and preserves all its properties. We are very happy to bring you health and wellness in the form of a sweet simple snack.